Looking for a recipe that appeals to bone health and a calcium enriched diet? Then this delicious and easy to make recipe that turns a healthy twist on pizza making that we found at EatingWell.com is a great lunch to make for yourself, or an appetizer to serve with friends.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped feathery tops for garnish
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 6-1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet and top each with an equal portion of the chicken and vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fennel tops and serve warm.
- Per serving (6 1/2-inch pita): 447 calories; 13 g fat ( 6 g sat , 4 g mono ); 6 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 10 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 416 mg potassium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Calcium (25% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium fat meats
Photo Credit: http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/fennel-chicken-flatbread